Kanye West Cuts Ties With Nike, Signs New Sneaker Deal With adidas


After days of speculations and rumors, Kanye West finally made it official in his exclusive interview with radio host Angie Martininez on New York’s Hot 97 – he ended his relationship with Nike and signed a new sneaker deal with rival adidas. With fiance Kim Kardashian at his side, West reiterated his frustration with Nike, though not about the release of his Air Yeezy 2 “Red October” but about his royalties. While Nike offered West more than enough creative control over his design, the company refused to give him a portion of the sales proceeds. Below is an excerpt and video from the interview…


So then I start turning up in the BBC interview, so [Nike] said, ok cool, we’re gonna give you a bigger sandbox to play in. We’re gonna give you this amount right here to design, and two collections a year, and 30 skews — that’s the amount of items that you have. Would that make you happy, Kanye? And I said, well I need royalties. It’s not even like I have a joint venture. At least give me some royalties. Michael Jordan has 5%, that business is $2 billion. He makes a $100 million dollars a year off of 5% royalties. Nike told me we can’t give you royalties because you’re not a professional athlete. I told them, I go to the Garden and play one-on-NO-ONE. I’m a performance athlete. Did I really ANYTHING? YES! Did I really EVERYTHING. 100,000 percent. I’m 100,000 percent at all times. It’s people that work in offices trying to tell me how to think, when I got a better perspective. I live in Paris.
So the old me, without a daughter, would have taken the Nike deal because I just love Nikes so much. But the new me, with a daughter, takes the adidas deal because I have royalties and I have to provide for my family.
via: MissInfo

Comments

Popular Posts